The Stardust Cafe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Stardust Cafe

A place for Stardust players to join together and share stories, thoughts, feelings on anything that's near & dear to our hearts.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Eating in the Raw: Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie

Go down 
AuthorMessage
stoneponey

stoneponey

Eating in the Raw: Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie Empty
PostSubject: Eating in the Raw: Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie   Eating in the Raw: Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 7:57 pm

Well I thought I'd add my own version of organic raw healthy to the mix. This pie, in fact, is not only delicious, you can eat a ton of it and NOT GET FAT! Why? Because you are eating live nutrients the way God intended. We eat so much processed foods in so many ways no wonder this nation is in a health crisis. So....this is my contribution to our good health and our good eats for a Happy Thanksgiving. It is a no-bake recipe as raw foods are not cooked; food dies when it's cooked and so with it most of the nutrients you need to live healthy.

Try it...you might be surprised Razz

Crust:
- 2 cups raw germinated almonds
Almonds should be soaking in filtered or distilled water for 8-12 hours (i do them overnight) to germinate. All that means is you are softening the nut and bringing out the live food enzymes. Very easy on the digestion. After the soaking time, simply rinse in fresh filtered or distilled water and they are ready to use.

- 1/2 cup dried shredded raw coconut (optional)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Filling:
- 2 cups cubed ripe raw pumpkin without seeds
- 1 1/4 cup raw germinated almonds
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 organic egg yokes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspooon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract

For the crust, put the crust ingredients in a blender and grind until coarse. Scoop out and press into an oiled 12 inch pie pan.

For the filling, combine the filling ingredients in a blender. The consistency of the filling at room temperature should be like that of a batter. If it's too thin, add a few more almonds and puree again. Pour the filling into the crust and refrigerate for 2 hours or preferably overnight. The pie will firm up.

To serve slice the chilled pie into wedges and top with your favorite whipped cream, preferably fresh cream blended whipped cream. From a can it just sullies the whole recipe lol! Or try the Macadamia Whipped Cream below for a truly organic raw topping to the very tasty (and filling) pie

Macadamia Whipped Cream

No, there is no cream in this at all. It is an organic non-dairy substitute and again, terribly frightfully healthy flower Most of these things you can find at places like Trader Joe's, New Seasons Market, Whole Foods etc. I realize it requires a food dehydrator but other than that and a blender you're good to go. But if you don't have these things at least make it "REAL" whipped cream you put on that pie, not Red-Whip or Cool Whip...ewww lol!

-1 cup macadamia nuts, soaked for 8-10 hours (again overnight) and dehydrated in a food dehydrator overnight
- 1/2 cup Thai coconut water
- 5 dates pitted and soaked for 2 hours to soften outer skin for removal
- 1 tablespoon organic cold-pressed coconut butter

In a strong blender, combine all ingrediants. Blend until smooth and creamy. Use as a topping for pies, beverages, puddings etc.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Back to top Go down

Eating in the Raw: Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie
Page 1 of 1