The Stardust Cafe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Stardust Cafe

A place for Stardust players to join together and share stories, thoughts, feelings on anything that's near & dear to our hearts.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Book Thread.

Go down 
+7
trancelot
tateau86
Kimmy59
gabbyjud
stoneponey
LyssaMN
Tracey
11 posters
AuthorMessage
thaeviaw

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: News 1st   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 8:43 am

When can the oriental behave before the consumed change? Your trusting camera tools an art. The helicopter rolls. The charge exists beside the concrete! The led trade files the badge. A behavior rules!
Back to top Go down
http://www.onsrilanka.info
JustJyvin

JustJyvin

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 1:59 am

Two books that I have read recently and would recommend are She's Come Undone and Daughter of Fortune, sorry I can't remember the authors but they are both on Oprah's Book Club list. I had heard about She's Come Undone and so gave it a try and came to find out it was a great book. Daughter of Fortune I picked up at a garage sale for 50cents and I'm glad I did because it was a GREAT book. They were both great books and great stories. With both books I found myself reading into the wee hours of the morning because I could not put the book down. A few times, when my eyes gave up on me, I woke up with book in hand and light still on. These are great books, pick them up and see for yourself. study
Back to top Go down
MrsA

MrsA

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 3:56 pm

Right now I am reading the autobiography of Henry VIII. Very interesting. It is told in first person. The author has really researched all the historical facts about him. The way she has written it makes it very interesting and easy to read. geek
Back to top Go down
Kimmy59
Admin
Kimmy59

Location : Originally California - currently DISplaced in Galveston County, Texas

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 12:40 pm

I just finished reading Soul Survivor: The Reincarnation of a World War II Fighter Pilot

The following came from Amazon.com:

This is the story of James Leininger, who-- a little more than two weeks after his second birthday-- began having blood-curdling nightmares that just would not stop. When James began screaming out recurring phrases like, "Plane on fire! Little man can't get out!" the Leiningers finally admitted that they truly had to take notice.

When details of planes and war tragedies no two-year-old boy could know continued-- even in stark daylight-- Bruce and Andrea Leininger began to realize that this was an incredible situation. SOUL SURVIVOR is the story of how the Leiningers pieced together what their son was communicating and eventually discovered that he was reliving the past life of World War II fighter pilot James Huston. As Bruce Leininger struggled to understand what was happening to his son, he also uncovered details of James Huston's life-- and death-- as a pilot that will fascinate military buffs everywhere.

In SOUL SURVIVOR, we are taken for a gripping ride as the Leiningers' belief system is shaken to the core, and both of these families come to know a little boy who, against all odds and even in the face of true skeptics, harbors the soul of this man who died long ago.

My notes:

It's an interesting story. I read it in a few days, passed it to a neighbor who read it in 2 days, then passed it to my Mom who also read it in a few days. There's a lot of history that comes up and detective work/genealogy to trace back the names and stories this little boy is having as the father tries to disprove what the child is saying because of his faith in God. Whether or not you believe in stuff like this, it's a good read if you like anything history related.

I'm also reading Don Rickles: Rickles' Book: A Memoir ...... I am loving it. It's easy to read, easy to follow and with each sentence I can hear his voice as if he's telling me the story himself.
Back to top Go down
LyssaMN

LyssaMN

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 9:32 am

I finally finished The Historian. Great book! I'm now starting The Club Dumas by by Arturo Perez-Reverte

I just started it so I let you all know what I think of it as I get further into the book!

The story follows the adventures of a book dealer, Lucas Corso, who is hired to authenticate a rare manuscript by Alexandre Dumas, père. Corso's investigation leads him to seek out two copies of a rare book known as De Umbrarum Regni Novem Portis (The Book of the Nine Doors of the Kingdom of Shadows). Along the way, Corso encounters a host of intriguing characters on his journey of investigation, including devil worshippers, obsessed bibliophiles and a hypnotically enticing femme fatale. Corso's travels take him to Madrid (Spain), Sintra (Portugal), Paris (France) and Toledo (Spain).
Back to top Go down
stoneponey

stoneponey

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 6:17 pm

That looks like a really good book Kimmy. I went to Amazon to check out the other titles and for sure interesting reading. I'm not a parent but boy do I agree with you on the state of kids today. I see so much bad behaviour going on in general that I wonder what the future is gonna be like w/them around. Skeery thought!! lol!

Bee yours looks good too. This author actually has a few interesting books out that I'd be interested in reading; most notably a book entitled Terrorism and Tyrrany: Trampling Freedom, Justice and Peace to Rid the World of Evil.

I've often thought of this lately how squeezed everyone is feeling while the world fights terrorism. Case in point: how much different it is to cross the border to Canada (either way) these days from years gone by when they were actually nice about it. The border guards just look at you like you're a terrorist first and then maybe a decent citizen second before they let you back in (or out) of the country, and other examples of life being squeezed from us for a few evil predators.

His other book Attention Deficit Democracy (2007) looks good too. I better go get another Library card. The old one is still from Lake Oswego lol!
Back to top Go down
Kimmy59
Admin
Kimmy59

Location : Originally California - currently DISplaced in Galveston County, Texas

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 12:41 am

I recently finished Big Russ and Me by Tim Russert ..... excellent book! I bought copies for my 2 kids and 1 for hubby's kid too. I think everyone who has parents should read this one. Smile

I miss Tim every Sunday. He & I had coffee on Sunday's for years. I miss his integrity, honesty and straightforwardness, regardless of the issue.

This book talks about examples and lessons set by parents that everyone can relate to. It talks about morals, values and integrity that more parents/people should aspire for in my opinion when raising their family. Enough of passive parenting! Most of what that gets us is babies having babies, and whiney ass spoiled rotten kids with no limits or boundaries who think that the world owes them something. The Book Thread. 577885 This book talks about respect & self discipline, something that everyone should strive for.

I related to this book more than I thought I would. And, as a parent who set boundaries, I was reassured that I wasn't that far off track afterall. It was nice knowing that Tim survived growing up, and my kids would too. Laughing

I'm now reading his other book, Wisdom of our Fathers, Lessons and Letters from Daughters and Sons. Looking into the lives of many others is a heartwarming journey & I'm enjoying this book very much.
Back to top Go down
Qnbee

Qnbee

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 10:06 pm

I am working on a book called "Lost Rights" by James Bovard...

Difficult to swallow what we have let our Governement do, but it happens to be an interesting read.

study

Bee
Back to top Go down
trancelot

trancelot

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 12:08 am

I've just finished reading 'Scruffy' by Paul Gallico.

A love story with a difference...

Highly entertaining tale about the ugliest, nastiest-tempered, roughest old villain of a Barbary ape on Gibraltar.
The Book Thread. 36482

I give it Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
tateau86

tateau86

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 10:11 pm

Oh Im a massive reader, I usually go through a book a night (which is terrible for my sleeping schedual). I like to read fantasy novels. My favorite Authors are Mercedes Lackey, Richelle Mead, Stephanie Meyer ... oh there are just so many.

One of my favourite books of all times is "Time Travellers Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. Its a beautiful story, if you havent read it/heard of it I so recommend it.

I will post more interesting books as I read them.

Thanks,
Taters
Back to top Go down
Kimmy59
Admin
Kimmy59

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 2:44 pm

LyssaMN wrote:
Shocked Air conditioner... wow.. we just step outside into our air conditioner. It's only 29 degrees here right now. lol

Do you have an extra room to rent Lyssa confused I'm a pretty good cook too, if that helps you make up your mind. lol!
Back to top Go down
LyssaMN

LyssaMN

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 12:51 pm

Shocked Air conditioner... wow.. we just step outside into our air conditioner. It's only 29 degrees here right now. lol
Back to top Go down
Kimmy59
Admin
Kimmy59

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 10:58 am

Damn! I was gonna move if they did too. Smile Oh well, I'll keep searching for a library with a woodstove so I can get outta this hell hole. lol! Our flippin' air conditioner has been on for the past 2 days!!! Mad
Back to top Go down
LyssaMN

LyssaMN

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 9:24 am

Kimmy59 wrote:
LyssaMN wrote:
I love our local library. It's excellent entertainment and I love to sit in front of a fire (woodstove.. not cooking fire..) cuddled up under a blanket and with a good book. talk about cheap entertainment!

They have a woodstove at your local library???? confused

LOL Sorry I meant at my house... I go to the library.. get a book... come home.... etc. etc. Actually I think there is a library around somewhere that has one of those electric fireplaces. If that counts. lol
Back to top Go down
stoneponey

stoneponey

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 10:43 pm

I'm moving to Minnesota if they do *giggles* lol!
Back to top Go down
Kimmy59
Admin
Kimmy59

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 7:22 pm

LyssaMN wrote:
I love our local library. It's excellent entertainment and I love to sit in front of a fire (woodstove.. not cooking fire..) cuddled up under a blanket and with a good book. talk about cheap entertainment!

They have a woodstove at your local library???? confused
Back to top Go down
LyssaMN

LyssaMN

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 12:24 pm

Back to top Go down
gabbyjud

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 5:23 am

flower I too am an avid reader. I grew up on a farm. we didnt have much money (plenty of food as we raised or grew it). every Sat mom and dad would take my sisters and i to the local libraries and we could take several books home to read. always finished them by next Sat. really love to read. good entertainment. Just finished the new J D Robb. not the best of her sesries but still a good read. I read just about every kind of book who knows when you will find a winner. some of my favorite authors are J D Robb/Nora Roberts; Christine Feeham; Kay Hooper; Catherine Coulter ( just her FBI series) ; Jayne Castle/ Kremze'; Janent Evanovich; and many many others. judy Sleep
Back to top Go down
stoneponey

stoneponey

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 4:57 am

If anyone comes across a good book about the Roman Empire post it here. I like non-fiction type stories like The First Man in Rome or other works I've read by Colleen McCullough 🤡
Back to top Go down
LyssaMN

LyssaMN

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 9:42 pm

As you know I'm still reading The Historian. I tell you I'm going to finish that book if it kills me. LOL
Back to top Go down
Tracey

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 7:14 am

Well, I figured I'd start a book thread because I'm an avid reader and reading is one of my favourite things to do.

I read tons of books, usually around 2-4 a week when I'm not on my xbox. I mainly buy them from charity shops and amazon marketplace.

I'm currently reading The Malice Box by Martin Langfield. It's a bit Da Vinci Code-ish, but good so far. It has mixed reviews, but I never go off reviews, I prefer to make up my own mind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Book Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread.   The Book Thread. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Book Thread.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Stardust Cafe :: Arts & Literature :: Books-
Jump to: